Your Fundraising Dollars at Work
In 2009, more than 700 Manitobans joined the 2nd Annual Challenge for Life 20k Walk. The incredible efforts of everyone involved resulted in more than $1 million being raised, which was immediately put to work at CancerCare Manitoba
Patient care and support, including education, early detection initiatives and clinical trials, were key priorities receiving funding through the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation.
Some of the programs receiving funding include:
- Patient and Family Resource Centre
- Volunteer Services and Patient Assistance Services
- Investing in UPCON (Uniting Primary Care and Oncology) training programs for family doctors to enhance their knowledge and skills around cancer care
- Investing in Manitoba Aboriginal Community Partnership
- Investing in Translational Research, applying new knowledge to improve care
- CancerCare Manitoba Tumour Bank, to conduct research into leukemia, prostate, lung, breast, and head and neck cancers
- Clinical trials giving patients access to leading-edge treatments and allowing researchers to develop and test potentially life-saving therapies. Approximately 1,000 CancerCare Manitoba patients are currently enrolled in a clinical trial.
- Investing in Epidemiology (the study of cancer patterns in the population)
Research dollars invested through the Foundation are leveraged several times by our internationally recognized clinician/scientists.